I just finished reading the GQ interview with Phil Robertson and it left me with a smile on my face.
Phil is a Christian living a very naked Christian life. He’s plain spoken and makes no attempt to be politically correct.
That makes some people flat out furious.
Sorry folks, the Christian faith WILL offend.
- It offends those who want to believe that they’re in charge of this world, not God.
- It offends those who believe there is no right or wrong – or eternal consequences.
- If offends those who disagree with it, plain and simple.
Now the A&E Network that hosts the Duck Dynasty program has ‘suspended’ him for speaking his own mind. Really?
Obviously featuring the homey, humorous, safe for TV Christian family was all fun and games until someone shared an faith based opinion that runs deeper than a dinner time prayer? How lame… and dare I say intolerant?
We’re living in some wild times. The culture around us has changed drastically. A person’s right to choose their own way and express their own opinion is defended far and wide – unless of course, they’re a Christian.
I hope I can be as brave as Phil.
- As a Christian I want to love God and love others, not just those I agree with.
- As an American I respect people of different lifestyles and religions.
- As a Christian I need to speak the truth in love.
- As an American, I need to be able to do that without being accused of hate speech.
I know many homosexuals and lesbians and from my perspective, they’re just people. I like them. I respect them. I enjoy them. I’m glad they’re in my life.
If I’m given an opportunity to share my faith with them, I will do it. If I’m asked outright what I believe about homosexuality, I’ll offer to open the Bible and show them what’s written there. That’s all I can do and to be honest, that’s all I should do. They, like every other person on this earth, has to bump up against the Word and decide for themselves how they will respond.
I’m gonna love them no matter what.
Christians can’t be afraid to quote the Bible.
Christian actors shouldn’t be ‘suspended’ for doing so either. It’s a ridiculous reaction from A&E and I hope they soon realize it.